We proudly present our very own in-house Yoga teacher MARTA!! Since Yoga is in her blood, we thought it would be a nice idea to tell you some more about the benefits of certain yoga postures, as we can all do with a little inspiration in these challenging times!
¨I have chosen the postures that seem to me to be the simplest and most accessible to almost everyone, and which also represent the essence of classic Hatha Yoga.¨
To start off we will go over what an Asana is so that we can understand a little more deeply the work on your mat.
Asana according to the Yoga Sutras of Patañjali (II.46) is “sthira sukham asanam” which means according to Master BKS Iyengar “Asana is perfect body firmness, stability of intelligence and benevolence of spirit” or it could also be defined as any firm and comfortable posture.
Asana therefore has two important qualities:
– Sukham: Happiness, delight, the ability to remain comfortably in the posture
– Sthira: Firm, fixed, regular, stable, durable.
A firm and pleasant posture produces mental balance and limits the mind’s “constant chat”, creates a strong and elastic body, reduces fatigue and calms the nerves.
The first one I would like to explain is the “Halasana” Plough pose which:
• Calms the mind
• Reduces the effect of backache
• Improves the digestive process
• Strengthens the abdominal muscles
• Good for arms and shoulders
• Promotes blood circulation
• Improves body balance
• Therapeutic for headaches
• Stretches the thighs muscles
• Refines body flexibility
Hari Om Tat Sat amigos!