Detox, in all its different forms, is a hot trend, but does it deliver on claims of better health? We regularly hear these questions from our clients: What will a detox program do for me? How will I feel? Is it hard? Will I lose weight?
It is said that cleansing the body with a detox cure is beneficial for our digestive health. When done correctly the process of “cleaning” your body can result in a wide range of positive effects: increased energy, mental & emotional clarity, weight loss, improved immune system function, to name just a few… Sounds good don´t you think?!
But doing a detox cure at home, where there are plenty of distractions and temptations can be hard. Our holidays are the perfect time to dedicate to ourselves and invest in our body and there is no need to travel all the way to India or Thailand thanks to Spain and Portugal´s exceptional offer in detox programs.
So here they are, our top 5 reasons why you should go on a detox holiday and our favourite places to do it!
1. You will be away from all temptations that can make it hard for you to detox or diet at home and stay on track, and everything is done for you, so you can truly relax and enjoy the activities/rest knowing that your body is getting the best balance of nutrients, vitamins and minerals it needs to reset itself.
Favourite detox destination: SHANTI SOM WELLBEING RETREAT
If you want to be away from any distractions this is the place to go! Shanti Som is a retreat dedicated to WELLBEING. In an idyllic surrounding you will experience a complete personalised detox program. At Shanti Som, the detoxification process focuses on both mental and physical cleansing. As well as the chance to release toxins from the body, it is also a chance to de-clutter thoughts, slow down and empty your mind. This unique 7 day programme combines a menu of functional enzyme rich juices and broths with body brushing, yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, herbal cleansing, education and self-administered colonics.
2. By removing tea, coffee, alcohol, processed food, meat, dairy etc. from your diet you will be allowing your internal system such as the colon, pancreas, liver, kidneys etc. to both cleanse and rest meaning when you return they will be much more effective. Your external body will also start to cleanse with clearer eyes, softer skin, fuller hair as just some of the great positive effects. On a detox holiday you will allow your body to heal much more effectively and this may even have an effect on longer-term conditions and illnesses such as skin conditions, mental conditions and even major conditions such as diabetes. You will return feeling lighter in body, clearer in mind and more energised than you have in years, plus you can lose at least one pound in weight a day!
Favourite detox destination: OCÉANO HOTEL HEALTH SPA
At the Océano Hotel Health Spa they specialise in the Detox Mayr cure, a medical detox program guided by the best doctors. The modern Mayr medicine concept is a holistic approach to preventive treatment, the correction of eating habits and general improvements to health. According to your personal constitution, the doctors for the modern Mayr-Medicine draw up a dietary plan that has a protective and purifying effect on your digestive tract. The key component of modern F.X. Mayr medicine, however, is bowel treatment: Several times a week the intestinal tract is unblocked, stimulated and fortified by the therapists, which in turn has a positive effect on heart and circulation. The modern F.X. Mayr therapy is a tried and tested form of health care that supports your full potential and physical well-being on a sustained basis. Next to the detoxifying effect on the body, at the same time, it may effectively alleviate or completely cure the following ailments: high blood pressure, overweight and underweight, diabetes, allergies, insomnia, food intolerances, etc.
3. Many detox holidays have specialist equipment and services as colonic hydrotherapy, pressotherapy, lymphatic drainage, infra-red saunas, cryotherapy, ozonetherapy etc. that can enhance your detox process. A team of (medical) professionals is there to guide you in the process and teaches you the tools for a healthier lifestyle once back home.
Favourite detox destination: SHA WELLNESS CLINIC
The SHA method brings together the latest advances in scientific medicine and the most effective natural therapies, giving special prominence to healthy and balanced nutrition. The combination has
a much more significant impact than would any of these approaches on their own.
With the guidance and advice from the SHA team of professionals, the aim is to detoxify the body with the following:
- Cleansing nutrition plan adapted to individual needs and a personally-tailored health plan
- Natural therapies, medical treatments and adequate supplements, all focused on eliminating toxins
- Recommendations and activities to encourage guests to learn new habits for a healthier lifestyle
4. A detox holiday in the sun can boost your vitamin D levels, very important in the healing process. Besides light and warmth, part of any detox program should be sleep, on a detox holiday you can rest whenever your body requires it. You can clear your internal body of toxins whilst also enjoying a holiday in beautiful sunny surroundings!
Favourite detox destination: HOTEL LOS MONTEROS
Sometimes you just have to let the guests speak:
¨A unique and unforgettable experience! The facilities are very good, the staff is very friendly and attentive, and the environment is beautiful. The SPA and massages are excellent. The nutritionist is exceptional with great personal attention. The reports you receive, advice and follow-ups, everything practically unbeatable. I will return!¨ – Olga
5. A detox holiday works on the mind as well as body – giving you time to focus on you and give yourself important love, care and attention. Many detox destinations also include activities such as yoga and meditation that are helpful for detoxing the mind. A detox holiday is also a great time to give up vices such as smoking and drinking to excess, and the replacement nutrients you receive may even help you to not return to them again in the future, plus you are around experts, in a safe environment and without temptation or a nearby shop to run to, which can help you get through the painful first 72 hours.
Favourite detox destination: LONGEVITY HEALTH & WELLNESS HOTEL
The detox programs at Longevity Health & Wellness Hotel
offer an answer to the battle against one of the greatest challenges facing
modern society – “inflammaging”. This is how we refer to the kind of
low-grade, chronic inflammation that, due to the lack of symptoms, often go
unnoticed and unchecked, yet will, over time, lead to tissue damage and
Processed foods, stress, environmental chemicals, radiation, smoking and/or drinking, sleep deprivation and lack of exercise, are all contributory factors to the increased inflammation that can compromise our immune system.
The high impact, intense detox progams of Longevity, clean your skin, dental, gastro-intestinal, visceral, lymphatic, circulatory and cellular systems. An opportunity to combat chronic inflammation, reduce toxins, heavy metals and free radicals and regenerate your immune system and cellular health.