In our earlier Blog we explained about the different kind of saunas there are available in modern Spa centers. Now we would like to learn you more about what the sauna can do for you apart from feeling HOT 🙂
Because the sauna is not just for heating up. At the moment you lay or sit there your body actually is working hard. Depending on the type of sauna you go in to, it has great health benefits:
- During a 10-20 minute sauna session, your heart rate increases by 50-75%. This provides the same metabolic result as physical exercise. The increased cardiac load is the equivalent to a brisk walk.
- Blood vessels become more flexible and there is increased circulation to the extremities. During a sauna, blood flow to the skin increases to as high as 50-70% of cardiac output (compared to the standard 5-10%). This brings nutrients to subcutaneous and surface tissue resulting in glowing healthy skin.
- Steam baths and saunas induce sweating to provide a comprehensive cleansing of the skin and sweat glands. Skin is the largest organ in the body. 30% of body wastes are passed through the skin. Profuse sweating enhances the detoxifying capacity of the skin by opening pores and flushing impurities from the body.
- When taking a sauna, skin temperature rises to 40°C (104°F) and internal body temperature rises to about 38°C (100.4°F). Exposure to the high heat creates an artificial fever state. Fever is part of the body’s natural healing process. Fever stimulates the immune system resulting in increased production of disease fighting white blood cells, antibodies and interferon (an anti viral protein with cancer fighting capability).
- Spas and other such therapeutic facilities utilize saunas and steam baths in conjunction with massage to loosen fatty tissue and assist in the battle against cellulite.
- Many regular steam and sauna users claim that a “good sweat” at the onset helps relieve and ward off the most severe symptoms of cold or flu.
Some of the other benefits associated with saunas and steam baths include:
- Relief from the pain and stiffness of arthritis.
- Steam is an excellent treatment for respiratory problems, such as; chest congestion, bronchitis, laryngitis and sinusitis.
- Revives tired and strained muscles after physical exertion.
As we are the Spain Specialist when it come to spa & wellness, that is why we always try to make a link with what´s available in Spain. In part 3 of our Sauna trilogy, we pay some attention to a very special kind of natural ¨Spanish¨ sauna…. To be continued!